Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Old Clock

over at alchemyjunk she made this wonderful clock i love it so much its fabulous so i just thought i would share she some other amazing projects so go check them out and give her some love <3

OK... so I want to know WHY is it that all the cool stuff in Pottery Barn is never for sale? You know those neat little treasures you see on the coffee tables or on the walls in the background..... [not that I could afford it anyway] BUT STILL it's like a mean tease!



When I saw this clock on the wall I KNEW I had to have one!




Soooo... much to my hubby's dismay, I started yet another project and left my many unfinished projects to sit and mingle while I worked on this one. [This happens to me a lot! I'm what I like to call, a starter/stopper- I start one project and then stop it [unfinished] and then hop on to another one, and then back to my previous one.] Drives hubby NUTS

anyways... back to the post




FIRST I went down to my local LOWES and got a 4x4 board cut down to 32"x32". Pick any size... just make sure it's a square. Board MUST be square or your circle (which must touch all 4 edges) will not be a circle, it will be an oval. FYI
Price: $12


Next I primed it with a creamy white and the white washed the top very lightly so the cream would still show through in spots.
(I used watered down white paint)



For the rest of the piece I used the following supplies:
a rusty red paint
a canary yellow paint
an antiquing glaze (very important. MUST be a glaze)
a knife
a rag
a cup of water



First I stabbed/picked holes randomly around the whole piece especially around the corners. I put some close together so as not to make it look like a pattern or intentional
I found my center and stabbed a large hole (where the hands would have been centered). I made the hole larger then the others.
(my camera broke when I was in the middle of this project so I'm showing you how I did the holes on my finished clock by just adding another hole. FYI :] )

Then I dabbed my rag in the paints, not really mixing them together on the plate. This way if it was too red or too yellow I could just add a bit more. After dabbing the rag in the paint, I dabbed the rag with the paint still on into water to water it down a bit so it wouldn't be so stark and be more plyable on the wood.


then I simply went around and "rusted" all the holes by dabbing them with this paint solution. I rubbed it into the hole really well and then just barely around it.  I also "rusted" the large crack in the clock and the corners.

Then I went and put a bit of the glaze, also watered down, onto the rag and then wiped it over all the corners, edges, the center hole, and rusted areas. I also wiped it in and around the entire clock to age it a bit.
It's important to use the glaze because it will wipe off ENTIRELY if you mess up.... and leave NO TRACE it was ever there. I was really able to perfect my clock by using the glaze and not black paint.

Then I traced a large circle all the way around the clock and took a paintbrush and filled it in with the glaze paint (this time not watered down)
I traced the circle by insterted a pin into the exact center of the wood. Then I tied a string to the pin, and the other end of the string to my pencil. I made sure that the string was exactly long enough to let my pencil barely touch the edge. Then I just moved my pencil all the way around and it formed a perfect circle

Next I stenciled on all the numbers... again with the glaze.
I cut out my stencils onto paint chips using an exacto knife (if only I had a cricuit!) I traced an X, a V, and an I onto 3 seperate paint chips and with that combination made all the 12 numbers.
Then I sanded the finished clock down a bit, especially the numbers and circle to age them a bit

And there ya have it!

here's a close up of the original:

 

and here's my attempted version
with poor lighting :)


No comments:

Post a Comment